Backflow Press Release

Backflow Prevention Assembly Program


Backflow FAQs

What is backflow?

• Backflow is the reversal of the normal flow of water. It's caused by pressure differences and can allow contaminants from an irrigation system, boiler, or other sources to enter a home or building's plumbing system or the public water supply. Backflow prevention devices protect plumbing systems and the public water supply by preventing backflow.

What causes backflow?

• A sudden drop in water pressure in a public system can cause backflow. Backpressure can also cause backflow. Backpressure occurs when a building's plumbing system has higher pressure than the public water supply. Both situations can allow water and contaminants from a private plumbing system to reverse flow into the public supply, potentially contaminating the water for other users. Backflow preventers keep this from happening.

What is a cross connection?

• A cross connection is a link between a potable water system and a non-potable water system, in our case, the city’s public water lines and our customers’ private plumbing systems. Backflow can occur through cross connections.

Is cross connection prevention required by law?

• Yes. Please see the various agencies below for further information.
• Federal EPA website:
• Florida Department of Environmental Protection:

How does the City of Lake City prevent cross connection?

• Since 2013, the City of Lake City has contracted with the professional services firm, HydroCorp, Inc., to manage the backflow prevention program by inspecting all commercial sites and testing of all existing backflow prevention assemblies, including private residences (when required) connected to the City water system.

Can I opt-out of the City’s backflow management program?

• No. All backflow devices must be tested annually.

What is the annual backflow test fee?

• There will be no fee for the annual backflow test. The City will cover this expense.

Why do backflow preventers have to be tested annually?

• Backflow prevention assemblies have internal seals, springs, and moving parts that are susceptible to wear and failure. Annual testing ensures they are functioning properly and protecting the public water system.

What is the difference between an annual test and initial test on a backflow device?

• The annual test is performed solely by HydroCorp, Inc. contractor, unless you opt-out of the program, to ensure proper operation of the device.
• The initial test is performed during a new installation to ensure proper operation of the device. The initial installation and test can be performed by any license plumber of your choosing. Following completion of your assembly new installation, your test forms must be mailed to: HydroCorp, Attn: Amy, 33C Suntree Place, Melbourne, FL 32940 or, emailed to HydroCorp at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or, faxed to: City of Lake City at: 386-466-3365. Please retain a copy of the device test results for your records.

How do I know if I need to install a backflow preventer?

• Residential customers are only required to install a backflow preventer if the home has an in-ground irrigation system or swimming pool. It is the customer's responsibility to notify us if an irrigation system or swimming pool is installed. Backflow preventers are required for all residential customers.

I received a letter saying my annual backflow test is due. What do I need to do?

• By receiving the letter means you opted out of the City’s backflow program. You must contact a Certified Backflow Tester to schedule a test on your device. After completing the test, the Backflow Tester must submit a copy of the test results to the City.

I'm a renter, why did I receive a letter about the backflow preventer?

• Compliance with our backflow requirements is the responsibility of the water account holder. If you are renting a home or commercial space, your landlord or property management company may agree to take care of the backflow installation, repair, and/or annual testing, but it is the ultimately the account holder's responsibility.

I received a letter saying I need to install a backflow preventer. How do I do that?

• We recommend contacting a licensed plumber. After completing the installation, the licensed plumber must test the device and submit a copy of the test results to the City.

I don’t use my irrigation system. Do I still have to test and maintain my backflow preventer?

• As long as the irrigation system is connected to your plumbing system, the potential for backflow exists, and you must comply with all backflow requirements, including having it tested annually.
• To eliminate these backflow requirements, the irrigation system must be physically disconnected from your plumbing system.
• If your irrigation system is served by the same water service that serves your home or business, you can have the irrigation system cut and capped. Once this is complete, contact us to schedule an inspection.
• If your irrigation system is served by a separate irrigation meter, contact us to close the account and we will remove the meter.

Will my backflow device freeze during the winter?

• Yes. Like any other water component, a backflow prevention device will freeze and crack. Your local home improvement store will carry pipe insulation. All you need is the insulation material and duct tape to wrap the above-ground piping and backflow device. Be sure to wrap the insulation around the bleeder and shut-off valves as well.

I am a licensed plumbing contractor, how can I get registered to participate in the program?

• Any plumbing contractors who wish to participate in the program will need to be registered with HydroCorp, Inc. For registration and program information contact Amy LaBute by dialing 800-315-3713.

Who should I contact for more information?

• If you have any questions or require additional information, please contact the City at 386-466-3350 or Amy at HydroCorp, at 800-315-3713. For additional information on HydroCorp, Inc., please visit their website at

Online Payment FAQ

Online Payment Frequently Asked Questions
What information do I need to log in? 
You need your account number and the name on the utility account exactly as it appears on your bill. You will not need to create a username or password.
What payment methods are available online?
Online payment can only be made via credit card (MasterCard, Visa, and Discover). Electronic checks are not supported.
Is my credit card information secure?
Yes. All credit card information is managed by BridgePay Network Solutions, a PCI compliant company. The City of Lake City does not hold any credit card information. 


How do I enable third-party cookies in my web browser?

Internet Explorer
Go to ‘Internet Options’ (click the gear icon in the toolbar, or go to the Tools menu in IE).
Click the Privacy tab, then click ‘Advanced’.
Check the ‘Override automatic cookie handling’ checkbox, if it is not already.
In the right-hand column, make sure that Third-party cookies is set to Accept. 

Go to ‘Preferences’ (click the gear icon in the top right corner).
In the preference window select the ‘Privacy’ option and under ‘Block cookies’ select ‘Never’.

Click on the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar
Select ‘Settings’
Click ‘Show advanced settings’
In the “Privacy” section, click the ‘Content settings’ button
In the “Cookies” section, make sure “Block third-party cookies and site data” is unchecked

Click the menu button and choose ‘Options’
Select the “Privacy” tab
Select ‘Use custom settings for history’ in the “Firefox will” option
Set the “Accept third-party cookies” to ‘Always’

Tropical Storm Debby Information

Please be advised the Columbia County Citizen’s Information Center (CIC) is now activated and can be reached by calling 386-719-7530. Please use this line to report road issues, assistance with evacuation and other issues related to the significant rain fall in the county.

We urge that residents not call 9-1-1 unless you have a true emergency situation. Call the Citizen’s Information Center with all non-emergency reports or questions at 719-7530.

A host emergency shelter is now open at Richardson Middle School. Additional shelters will be  opened as conditions warrant during today.

Florida Gateway College has announced that it will be closed today because of flooding on the entrance road to the  college.

Flooding issues have been identified and compiled from the efforts of 9-1-1 dispatch, Public Works Department and various law enforcement agencies.

The list of road closures is as follows:

  • CR 357/Troy Road
  • 1850 CR 252
  • SR 247 at intersection with CR 240
  • Rossi Pounds Hammick – concrete is washed out
  • Sapps Salvage on SR 100A (Bascom Norris)
  • 1553 NE Bascom Norris Drive, southbound side of Bascom is flooded, just west of Sapps Salvage
  • U.S. 41 and I-10
  • Drew Road at U.S. 41
  • SR 47 at the Bingo Station
  • Double Run and Sunnybrook intersection
  • Fariway and Egret intersection
  • Carolyn & Kirby
  • 441 in front of Club Rodeo
  • Price Creek, ½ mile north of Chasteen
  • 252, just east of Country Club
  • Vicinity of 3223, County Road 240
  • Peacock Terrace under water
  • The area of Fedora and Young Place has water over roadway
  • Tree down on CR 335
  • Progress Energy notified of power outage
  • 247 in front of fairgrounds
  • South Marion adjacent to Columbia High School
  • Colvin and Tammy Roads intersection
  • Timber Wolf Academic (entrance to Florida Gateway College)
  • CR 51 to 245 A (Price Creek area)
  • 47/441 intersection
  • Riverside, south of Utah
  • Intersection of Kentucky and Drake
  • Birley Road, south of Geeza
  • Cypress Lake on paved part and dirt portion of Charles
  • Intersection of Myrtis and Precious
  • Business Point at SR 47
  • Anderson/Sabre intersection
  • Grassland/CR 240
  • 247, south of Dairy, area under water
  • St. Margaret’s from Main Blvd. to McFarlane
  • Gum Swamp and McColsky

Online Payments

Online Payments
The City of Lake City is pleased to provide our customers a reliable and secure online payment option.
You can now view your bills and account activity online.
Online payments can be made via MasterCard, Visa, and Discover.
Customers are not charged any convenience fees for transactions.  For your protection, credit card information is not collected or stored by the City.  
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions  page for more information regarding how to use Online Payments.
  • Remove any old favorites from your browser
  • Print a copy of your on-screen receipt
  • Not compatible with tablets or phones
  • Enable third-party cookies in your web browser. How do I enable third-party cookies?

Employee Login